Enclosed 3D Printer Problems and Lessons Learned

Crypt-Cube printing ABS

Over the past year or so I have been working on a 3D printer I call Crypt-Cube. Building an enclosed 3d Printer problems and lessons learned along the way are inevitable. This is my first real attempt at making a 3D printer that would print high temp filaments and also high abrasive filaments. I knew from the start that I would need an enclosure and abrasion resistant hot ends.

Like anyone would do I started planning my build. Creating sketches of what I wanted the thing to look like and also creating the 3D drawing of the actual thing so I could line things up virtually before even cutting a piece of aluminum extrusion.

After it was all said and done, everything cut, pieced together, cables ran, and configured, it was time for a test run. Of course the first print ran smooth and I thought? Hey first try and a perfect print! Boy was I wrong!

Lesson learned if you are going to have a chamber this hot! Utilizing a Bowden extruder is the way to go! With the direct drive system I was experiencing a lot of inconstant prints. One print would finish, another quit half way through, and the frequent sloppy looking print. Anther thing I have notice is with BuildTak. I was using this as my go too build platform, but I believe with the combined chamber temperature filament was really embedding into the surface and prints were practically impossible to remove. The last print I did on this surface actually ripped the surface trying to remove the part. Now I have used BuildTak on an open printer before and while parts stick they are not impossible to remove. I have since switch to using just a glass build surface.

This is still an on going project but so far I have 3 successful ABS prints in a row!

Enclosed 3D Printer Problems and Lessons Learned

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to top